Monday, July 06, 2009

Kamakura

On Saturday, I sign up under JICA to go for a trip to Kamakura...a popular tourist spot south-west of Japan. JICA has arranged a group of volunteers to be our tour guide. The are called Kanagawa Social Goodwill Guide (KSGG). So a group of us, 25 JICA "kenshuin" (participants) took a train to meet our guides.....
Met this lady on the train from Morocco. Her name is Latifah. Her course is similiar to mine...Employment for Rural Woman. Interesting woman....vibrant.....Might go to Disneyland with her.
View of the Pacific Ocean from the train.

Thot I would be "alone" without frens since the boys did not sign up for the trip. Hard for wheelchair users to go. Anyway was glad that this 2 "clowns" also came along. They are Laina & Erni from Indonesia. Knew them from japanese language class. Sad that they are going back on tuesday. I like hanging out with them. Funny...I alwiz talk to Indonesians but cannot find any malaysians at TIC. The indonesians are alwiz amuse that a chinese comes up to them and ask "Apa Khabar" and they will go ohhh and then ask me where I'm from. When I said malaysia they will go "ahhhhhh". kekeke Thing is they dun see many "chinese" malaysian here as most of the JICA kenshuin from malaysia are malays(government servant).

Gate to the Shrine. Built by the a shogun....Minamoto something.......

Washing hands and rinsing mouth.
These are the sake barrels offered to the temple for the Gods.


Write down your wishes and hang the wooden thingy.
Having lunch with our guides. We were divided into groups and at least 3-4 guides are assigned to each group. They will explain the history of the places. These are all volunteers from KSGG.
Maple tree....my name sake. Yes "Foong" does not mean wind...it means maple leaf.


The great Buddha. Kamakura most famous attraction. Group photo. Can you spot me?
Buddha is 11m(I think) high and weigh 121 tons. It's the second largest statue in Japan. Used to be indoor but the great Kanagawa Tsunami destroy everything surrounding it except for this statue.

Last photo with our guides.

Had a great time. Tiring but glad that I sign up for the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home