Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A Chinese Wedding

Sunday 9th January 2005, 6:45am: My beloved aunty came barging into my room, switch on the light and shouted "Wake up.....dun you have to be at Selayang by 7:30am?" I mumbled a few words, pulled the blanket over my head and went back to sleep. Who needs an alarm clock when you have a human one at home. I guess my aunty is pretty excited about the wedding even though it's her nephew who is the one getting married. Dun blame her...it's the first time someone from this side of the family is getting married in KL.

I was one of the destinated driver to go to the bride's place from Selayang to Pandan Indah (my sisters escaped from being the drivers becoz they have absolutely no sense of directions which I think it's actually a blessing in disguise as they dun need to wake up so early!) The wedding entourage was one of the longest I've seen...... 11 cars including the bridal car..... my aunt (groom's mom) says must have 9 cars or more going there as in "cheong cheong kau kau" which means being together forever. They even hire one of those "Tai Kam cheh" to follow the groom & bride around teaching them where and who to kow-tow to and alwiz saying nice & prosperous words like "Nien sang kuai chi"(every year give birth to son), "bak nien hou hup" (er...together for a hundred years..I think)... she even sang a folk song. It's quite amusing seeing them kow-towing to almost everything... they kow tow to each other...to their parents...to all the aunties & uncles, relatives....to the sky...the earth....the altar...... almost like a Japanese! My aunty even got ready a "chinese potty", stuck a red paper on top and asked one of my younger cousin brother to punch a hole in it and got him to roll on the newly-weds bed so that they'll have a son ASAP! ngahahahaha

It's really a big different from all the other weddings that I've attended. They are so many things that are "pantang" or a taboo like no wearing black, girls cannot sit on the newly-weds bed, the bride & groom cannot see each other on the eve of the wedding, must have red colour...etc. It was really an eye-opener and I really enjoyed myself. The wedding dinner was the best I've ever had (if not I dun think my uncle will supply veggies to that restaurant anymore!!)

Well after this wedding my mother& my aunt are pretty excited about coordinating my second sister's wedding (may God bless my sister!!). She's even talking about hiring one of the best "Tai Kum Cheh" in the business. *ROLL EYES* Just yesterday both of them went downtown to see a medium to find a "kat yat" (properous day) for the wedding. Initially my sis wanted the wedding in July, she even took leave and book the flight ticket to come back from Finland but my mom says cannot...becoz it's the month of the hungry ghost festival. haha I guess we are going to have another chinese wedding again. Well I just hope that my future brother-in-law won't get a cultural shock!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home